Tuesday, January 19, 2010

bayanihan still exists

While doing her egg mosaic painting today, my daughter asked me about bayanihan. "Mom, does Bayanihan still exists?


"Yes, it still exists! Bayanihan means bayan or town, a community. " I further explained, "Bayanihan originated in old tradition where people consisting of 20 or more, lift the entire house to move to another location." Then she asked, "How could these Bayanihan exists today when all the houses are now concrete?" So I explained more, "Bayanihan does not only mean lifting the house, this means cooperativism or helping voluntarily when the family is in need."

And as she continues her painting, she asked me again. "During typhoon Ondoy and the help keep pouring to victims, is that Bayanihan too?"

"Exactly, honey! During typhoon that devastated Manila, people from all walks of life came together to help, and that only proves that bayanihan do exist.

and so I continued, "usually after the people moved the house to new location, the family show their gratitude by preparing food for feast and they eat together in happy mood."

and my daughter replied, "Oh, I can't draw the people feasting after bayanihan. I think I need another illustration board for that."





1 comment:

chubskulit said...

Wowowowow ang galing galing naman ng anak mo sis. Pwede ba magpaturo si Rye hehehe.. Siguro kunbg pagsasamahin nating mga ladies na ito eh magkakasundo pagdating sa arts.