Monday, December 21, 2009

Mellow Yellow Monday

My second entry for Mellow Yellow Monday and the story behind Gumamela.

MellowYellowMondayBadge


Everytime my daughter sees Gumamela or "hibiscus," she would always say, "look there's gumamela here."

Few years ago when my daughter was in prep school, her teacher asked them to bring gumamela flower. After looking around the nearby garden and asked some friends for gumamela, we arrived home nothing in our hand. Gumamela is seldom seen here in the city. We went to Dangwa, "flower shop in Manila where you can buy different kinds of flowers," but still there's no gumamela. To her frustration, she brought roses the following day but her teacher said that it can't be used to study the different parts and only gumamela is perfect and has the complete part of the flower. All the sterile and fertile parts of the flower are present in gumamela.

This photo was taken last year during our vacation in Laguna and my daughter so told me to take photo of it. I never knew that taking photo of this last year has its own reason, to share in my today's Mellow Yellow Monday.





19 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

It's a very pretty photo!

Jazzbumpa said...

Every picture tells a story.

Very nice.

Cheers!
JzB

Carletta said...

Hibiscus is such a lovely flower and it is perfect for studying the parts!

grace said...

Hmmm... you're number one here ha.. visit me pls..

chubskulit said...

Alam mo ba sis ang mahal ng gumamela dito heheh.. Sabi ko sa asawa ko noon, hinihingi ko lang yan sa kapitbahay lol. Oiist ang aga mo ah, number one eh hehehe..
My Mellow Yellow

Joops said...

one of my sister's favorite plant.

Mellow yellow with our new eye candy, happy holidays!

Manang Kim said...

Yay a yellow gumamela that is awesome..thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!!


MYM~Nativity scene

Mama Zen said...

Lovely flower!

Quilt Works said...

What apretty flower!

Hope you will have a chance to tag visit too!

... Join for two seasons"Snow and Leaves"

Willa said...

I love gumamela, especially the double one, when i was in grade school, I always give it to my teacher on teacher's day. :)

Diane AZ said...

Pretty yellow hibiscus is one of my daughter's favorite plants too. Interesting to learn that it's also called Gumamela. :)

Nukke said...

What a pretty flower !!!

Chie Wilks said...

beautiful MYM shot...

mine is up too

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Golden hibiscus,
with you I am richer than
all the world’s wealthy.

Stephanie V said...

Pretty colors in that flower. There's always a reason for a photo!

Marice said...

aww i miss seein that flower.. thanks for sharing!

u may view mine here

hip chick said...

It is very pretty.

Dhemz said...

great entry and great post te.....dito super mahal yung gumamela plants....have one before...pero d nagsurvive pag winter...ehehehe...super ginaw kasi dito pag winter.

thanks pala sa dalaw at comment....musta na po?

merry christmas in advance!

Eden said...

Beautiful gumamela. I love gumamela and I am planning to plant one in my ground garden next spring.

Thanks for the visit